Sunday 19 February 2012

Two Faithful Preachers - Proud To Be A Methodist 4


Since the Methodist Recorder began running its Proud to Be a Methodist campaign I have written on three different reasons why, although I am first and foremost a Christian and disciple of Jesus Christ, I am also very proud to be a member of The Methodist Church and in training to become a Methodist Presbyter.

What has made me immensely proud to be a Methodist today are two lay preachers I had the privilege of learning from as I trained to become a lay preacher myself.

The first of these men is Colin Maleham who retired today from active preaching after 52 years of faithful service.  That is a long time to be active in a particular ministry within the church and is something that was quite rightly celebrated by the congregation this morning at the church where Colin preached today.  I had the genuine privilege of being invited to read the two scriptures for this morning’s service and also to deliver the benediction at the end.  Colin preached what must have been one of the best sermons of his 52 years and goes out on a definite high.  The North Fylde Circuit will be the poorer for no longer hearing Colin preach the word of God faithfully, but after 52 years he deserves his retirement from the task he has so faithfully committed to for over half a century.  There are other faithful preachers of the gospel on the Circuit, both ordained and lay, but I know Colin’s faithful preaching and sensitive leading of worship will be missed.

The second preacher I would like to mention is David Simpson who went to be with the Lord last year after a long battle with cancer.  He was a member at the church I attended this morning and another faithful preacher of the gospel who I learned a great deal from.  It still seems strange going to that church and not seeing him sitting at the church sound desk.  I continue to benefit from David’s devotion to his Lord because this morning his widow, Lorraine, offered me some of his theology books; an offer I greatly appreciated.  David’s preaching ministry wasn’t as long as Colin’s but I know that he is still greatly missed by all the congregations who benefitted from that ministry. 

I am proud to have known both these men and to have benefitted from their faithful service to God in more ways than I could tell.  The same goes for the other Methodist lay preachers whose worship leading and sermons I have been blessed with over the years.  It is a little known fact that the majority of services in this country in Methodist Churches on a Sunday are led by lay preachers.  Like Colin and David these faithful men and women serve their Lord in this way Sunday after Sunday for no reward other than serving God.
 
The faithful band of Methodist lay preachers, past and present, make me proud to be a Methodist.

No comments:

Post a Comment