Tuesday 7 February 2012

Slipping and Sliding Through the Storm


I spent most of Saturday just outside Leyburn on the Yorkshire Dales National Park on a college Marriage & Ministry weekend.  The weekend was great, I learnt a lot and the worship was good.

Setting off for home, though, I was filled with unease.  Tumbling out of the sky were crystal white flakes of snow and as a regular visitor I know that snow in the Dales isn’t good.  The journey between Leyburn and Hawes wasn’t too bad; it was when I got onto the road between Hawes and Ingleton that the problems started.

The snow was coming in thick and fast and very soon the tyre tracks I was following in the road disappeared; as did all the road markings.  I slowed considerably but even then the car was slipping and sliding every time I went round a bend.  I had to apply more power to get up hills to stop my car sliding back and then, of course, coming down the other side things were a little dangerous.  I was probably driving in those conditions for ten minutes or so but it seemed like an eternity.  As I drove I prayed for God to deliver me safely from all accident and harm.  Eventually I emerged from the blizzard and slowly the weather conditions improved until I was driving on a normal wet road surface with just the occasional patch of black ice to make things interesting.  With God’s help I had come safely through the storm.

Reflecting back upon this experience our lives can sometimes seem a lot like that.  We can hit patches where our lives seem to be out of control, where nothing we do seems to make any difference, yet as a Christian I believe that God brings us safely through those times, especially if we turn to him in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment