Friday 6 May 2011

A Parting of The Ways!

Today I finished the ministerial placement I've been enjoying for the past six months.

For those of you who don't know, one of the things that we do as Student Ministers is to go on placement to gain practical experience of active ministry.

Strictly speaking I finished at the end of March when I preached a last sermon at Dolphinholme Methodist Church, but today I had the review meeting with my placement supervisor.  This was eye opening in a number of ways, but the two that struck me most were:

1.  The sense of loss I felt at leaving the Circuit.  Even though I was only with the Circuit for six months I felt quite sad when the final parting came.  I have got to know people, I have felt at home at several chapels, I have felt welcomed and wanted; I have felt very much a part of the Circuit and now I'm moving on.  I think I've had a very, very small taste of what it feels like to leave a Circuit after five years of ministry, another useful learning experience.

2.  The mutual beneficial touching of lives.  I found out in our review meeting today how many lives I've touched in the past six months; how many different people have appreciated in some way the ministry that I've undertaken amongst them.  It was extremey humbling to discover that appreciation from my Christian brothers and sisters and something I'll never forget.  I have also been touched by the lives of others, I have been encouraged by them, prayed for by them and uplifted by them.

I hope that I will go on from training to become first a Probationer Minister and, God willing, Ordained; but I don't think I'll ever forget my first placement and the loving Christian people whose lives touched mine for a while and who encouraged me and taught me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment