Tuesday 3 January 2012

Insulated From The World....


As I sit in my warm lounge, heat from the radiators gently warming me and a large mug of hot tea in my hand I can hear the wind howling around the house, rattling the bins and fence panels and no doubt blowing stuff all over the place.  I can see the rain hammering on the window in a vain attempt to penetrate my cosy domestic scene, but it cannot do so.  In many ways I am currently isolated from the reality of the world outside, which is cold and wet and windy; whereas I am warm and dry and reasonably content.  

Unfortunately I can see parallels between my current situation and that of many Christians.  It is very easy as a Christian to become some busy with the church that we can lose touch with the society around us.  I know many Christians whose only friends are Christian, who work for the church or a par-church organisation, whose spare time is spent on church activities, watching Christian TV channels and radio stations and who never really get themselves involved in their wider community or the troubles of the world.

Dedication to church, to the Body of Christ, is good; but we need to remember that Christ came to save not a few people gathered in a nice building but all those sinners out there who still need to hear the message of his transforming love and power.  We need to get out of our churches sometimes and bring Christ’s love to those who need to hear it.

I won’t be going out for a walk in the wind and rain this afternoon though!

No comments:

Post a Comment