Friday 11 November 2011

We Will Remember Them!


Today, at the hospital I’m currently on placement at as a volunteer part of the Chaplaincy team, I attended a short service of Remembrance in the hospital chapel.  There were only four of us, plus the Chaplain who was leading the service, gathered there but it was a profoundly moving a peaceful time when we brought to mind those who have died in time of war.

For many years I have struggled with the idea of Remembrance Day and for several years did not buy or wear a poppy.  This was because, as a Christian, I am deeply committed to peace and feel very strongly that violence is never the answer.  I felt that Remembrance Day and the poppies in some way glorified war and could not even attend a service on Remembrance Sunday, let alone lead the worship or preach at one.

I now wear my poppy with pride and am happy to preach on Remembrance Sunday; indeed I shall be doing that very thing in two days’ time.  I am still a committed pacifist and would never personally raise arms against another; but I do now recognise the enormous sacrifice that British, and foreign, service men and women have made to defend the freedoms we all enjoy, not only in two world wars but in the many smaller conflicts that have taken place since.  We owe them a huge debt of gratitude and it is right and proper that we remember them and all they have done for us and the generations still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment