Saturday 22 October 2011

A BUSY, BUSY CHRISTIAN LIFE!

Sorry I haven’t written anything much this month.  There’s no excuse really, other than that life has been incredibly busy since I got back to Wesley Study Centre at St John’s College in Durham and I haven’t really had the chance.
My days are pretty full at the moment.  As well as all the lectures at college there are other obligations when you are a Methodist Student Minister.  There is Morning Prayer each day in the college chapel, in addition to my own personal quiet time.  There are several Communion Services each week, which I don’t like to miss if I can avoid it as well as other opportunities for prayer and worship.  There are sermons to write and service materials to prepare and of course there is preparatory reading for lectures and the dreaded essay to compose.  Then, finally, the roughly six hours I spend on placement each week.  Days are pretty full on and there is little time for leisure time, reading novels, watching TV, chilling with family and friends; that kind of thing.
I don’t begrudge a single moment of time spent in the busyness of college.  I believe that God has called me to training at the Wesley Study Centre and it is humbling to be called to be here.  All Student Ministers make sacrifices to undertake our training, but they are as nothing to the sacrifice made by our Lord Jesus Christ. As Paul wrote:
“Christ Jesus… did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross.” (Philippians 2:6-8)
Compared to all that Jesus gave up I have given up comparatively little and what I have given up I have given up for him, for my precious Saviour and Lord: and I am gaining so much in terms of spiritual growth, in scriptural and theological knowledge and in formation as a Methodist Presbyter, which I believe more strongly than ever to be God’s calling on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment